Changing out locks on a newer snap on box

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
edwardsb2436
Your Location: Iowa

Changing out locks on a newer snap on box

Post by edwardsb2436 »

Ok guys, I have a KRA2106FPBO box with a regular key lock and my top chest is a KRA4810FPBO with the tubular key lock. Now my issue is that I want my bottom box retro fitted with the tubular lock setup. It doesn't matter if the tubular key locks are keyed different but I would like to know which parts I need to do this. On snap ons web site the KRA4107FPBO box has the tubular lock set for the $22 and some change and that I would also need the chrome bezel that the set "mounts" into, but what else would I need? Any and all info would be awesome. Thanks for the time and patience.
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Re: Changing out locks on a newer snap on box

Post by Frank Murch »

I have some information about locks, but I do not have the complete picture. I think there may be a number of different time periods and vendors. My veiw on this is scrambled. This is what I think:

3 places have been mentioned as sources for locks:

1) https://www.ldvusa.com/parts-and-access ... s/show-all

2.) This company make the locks for Snap on - “Fort” now CompX Fort. http://compx.com/fort.html

3.) Chicago Lock Company (after 1933?)

I have a few boxes and I took one to a Locksmith, He told me the lock company is near Chicago. They are still in business and my locksmith knew the company. They do not rekey these. They are swaged together, so the lock smith took a 6 inch ring with more than a hundred keys on it and sat there, trying one after another until he came up with the correct key – He wrote down the number and then made me keys. I wish I had asked him what the company name was. Sense this time he passed away. Try an older locksmith. Also, they were cheap locks – You can get better locks with no problem.

I hear for newer locks - The “code” for the key is stamped right on the face of the lock. Some locksmiths are using these numbers to cut a replacement key, I think Snap On used these numbers. Someone mentioned a new Snappy replacement lock was $17.99 or around that price. Some Snap On locks have a 4 digit number off the front of the lock. Add a k behind it and search the Snap On web site – If it is found they sell the replacement for something like $6 each.

How to defeat a cam lock

1. Find a drill bit that will fit into the Snap-On tool box lock. The drill bit should be 2 inches long to completely drill through the lock pins in the tumbler style lock.

2. Align the drill bit with the top of the keyhole. Begin drilling with smooth steady pressure. When you feel the uppermost lock pin break, move down to the next. Continue drilling until each pin has been broken. Snap-on locks are tumbler locks, and they typically don't have more than five lock pins.??

3. Insert a flathead screwdriver into the drilled-out keyhole. Turn the screwdriver as if it were the key attempting to open the lock. If the lock will not open, choose a larger drill bit and repeat steps

Know more than I do?? Corrections?? Improvements?? Please. If there is a locksmith out there - I would like to hear the trade side
edwardsb2436

Post by edwardsb2436 »

Thanks for the info Frank. But I still need to know the parts besides the lock cylinder and keys.
edwardsb2436

Post by edwardsb2436 »

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/parts/pr ... _ID=683477 this link has the box with the tubular key lock that I'm talkin about, but like I was saying besides the lock set and the little chrome ring that the lock cylinder goes through what other parts would I need to complete this retro fit.
edwardsb2436

Post by edwardsb2436 »

Got it all taken care of. Everything was a very easy change and nothing had to be trimmed.