snap-on clock

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
pappy

snap-on clock

Post by pappy »

Hello, Im new to this site and am enjoying looking at it. My paw in law is a retired professional ford dealer mechanic and a Snap-on guy and he has got me interested in Snap-on. Some years ago he gave me a Snap-on pin-up girl clock which I am in the process of restoring. My question, Does anyone know where I could find more info on these clocks? Dates? how many where issued? Who where these models? Im thinking of collecting more of them but am having a hard time finding any info on them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks..Pappy
Frank

Re: snap-on clock

Post by Frank »

There is a book about collectibles

Unauthorized guide to Snap-on collectibles by Caroline M. Schloss
1920-1998

It is not the answer to your question, but it is a little closer
pappy

Post by pappy »

Thanks for the info. Ill check it out.
snaponman

Post by snaponman »

Hi Pappy,
Most of the clocks that you are talking about were produced by the Lockton company for Snap-on. The girls on the clocks were models for the Snap-on calendars, for the most part. If you have access to anyone with old Snap-on "girly" calendars, the names of the girls are listed on each month. In fact, most of the clocks are actually duplicates of one of the monthly pages from the calendars. As mentioned, the Snap-on collectibles book is a good place to start, as well. Another way to quickly find out info about the clocks is to go to the eBay website and type in SNAP ON CLOCK in the search field, and you will get tons of listings for the various clocks along with info about each of them. If you search for completed auctions, you can get a pretty good idea what the current value, or at least the current market, is for any particular clock. A few of the more rare or early clocks are more expensive, but the majority of them are fairly consistant in price, if in good condition. If you are interested in buying more of them, I've got a couple of hundred of them, many still new in the boxes, that I am selling. I have been collecting Snap-on collectibles for many years, and have a very large collection that I am liquidating, so if you are looking for anything specific, I've probably got at least one for sale. I hope this helps! Scott (mrjayhawk@aol.com), "snaponman" on eBay.
pappy

Post by pappy »

Wow! looks like I hit the jackpot. Thanks so much for your reply. My intention is to first finish the clock that Im working on now and find out more about it so Ill know which way the "collection" goes from there. Ive looked at ebay and am a little leery of some of the info Im getting from sellers trying to sell me their items.

Ive already heard that these clocks are made from three different companies. The ad for one of the clocks On ebay now says they are made by a company called lock city craftsmen. I would think there would be mutiple makers.

The idea of checking out the calenders sounds great. I think it would be cool to have a calendar pic to go along with the clock. Ill start looking into that now.

Thanks again
musclecardoc

Post by musclecardoc »

a lot of collectible clocks,posters, mugs, calendars etc.. show up on ebay from time to time, search vintage/antique snap on. :)
oldtom

Post by oldtom »

pappy there is a snapon clock on ebay now date 23/12/2010 make you xmass present for your self