How to remove drawers

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

How to remove drawers

Post by Frank Murch »

I get asked this question a fair amount and I thought it might help to post it here

The early drawers had no guides and they pull right out. The modern drawer guides are ball bearings and they have a clip built in. In between are the slides

There is a tool. The tool looks like the picture
top View
top View
Snapon-draw-tool-w-measure.jpg (39.24 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
side view
side view
snapondrawertoolside.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
Snap on sells them ($15?)
You can make one, but a hack saw blade is too wide. It is also too thick. The spring that is used on the back of picture frames is about right. Some people have had success with a part of a tape measure.

The slides are easy to get out – once you know how. There is a tab that you need to slide by. It is about ½ to 2/3 out on the inside between the drawer and the rail. Because the drawer is a part of the slide, you can also pull the drawer all the way out, then hold the black slide out, and push the drawer in, put in the tool, then push the black guide back to release one side. The 2nd side should be easier
drawer
drawer
snapondrawertoolused.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 4791 times
The black slides bend. You can bend them back (carefully) or flip them over. I know of no source of replacement slides – be careful

Hope this helps

Frank
snapmom

Re: How to remove drawers

Post by snapmom »

I think Snap on still has some slides, just depends on the length you need. But you can take a longer one, cut it down, and pop rivet the tab back on.
SNAPdragON
Your Location: MA, USA

Re: How to remove drawers

Post by SNAPdragON »

ref. last sentence of instructions: ON WHICH SIDE OF CENTER PLASTIC PC DO U INSERT TOOL?///WHICH WAY???