9/32" drive back story

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
lane in LA
Your Location: LA

9/32" drive back story

Post by lane in LA »

I recently purchased online a WWII socket set that I thought was 1/4" but have since realized it is 9/32." Other war offerings on ebay seem to have that same drive size. What is the background of this size which seems not to have survived time?

thanks

lane
snapmom

Re: 9/32" drive back story

Post by snapmom »

Snap on started 9/32 drive tools in about 1925. Last seen sometimes in the 60s I think. They were not just war time.
lane in LA

Post by lane in LA »

Thanks for that history. I sort of came to that conclusion looking on this site at the 9/32" socket sets evolution. I imagined that market forces streamlined tools to 1/4" which may have simplified things overall for mechanics and industrial users. I also reread the Hemmings account here of how Frank gathered so much from old catalogs and I promptly went to ebay and bought what was offered. Too bad Snap On doesn't have exhaustive internal records like some automobile manufacturers had preserved that would inform us late-day collectors and aficionados.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Snap on does, but it not open to the public.
lane in LA

Post by lane in LA »

Probably closely guarded, not unlike some famous chefs or restaurants with their secret recipes. In all seriousness I can understand how things might be kept inside the company.