Two Ratchets That Look Like Snap Ons??

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
dimwittedmoose51
Your Location: NE Iowa

Two Ratchets That Look Like Snap Ons??

Post by dimwittedmoose51 »

Hi Folks: I have acquired two different ratchets that both of their heads look a lot like Snap On heads and wondered if anyone could fill me in on approximately how old they are and whether there are repair parts available for them??

The first one is a Greenlee 1/2" drive ratchet with only a part number of 5022575. IT's possible that it's an Armstrong since there's no date code inbetween the "on and off" stamping under the directional lever. The rat is a 24 tooth and maybe the drive gear is Indestro? Not sure. Anyway, the drive gear is strippedand one side of the paw lsheared off, so maybe someone was abusing the longer than normal handle on it.

The other ratchet I got is very suspiciously looking like a Snap On. IT has the look of a Snap On tool with the black 4 sided handle and it does have a date code of 1964 in between the on-off area. IT's a 3/8" DRIVE and fairly short...maybe 9" long. Haven't taken it apart yet, but if there was a Snap On logo and/or part# on the black handle, it's been well worn off by now. Didn't see any in the archives with the handle o nit,so I ask the gurus what you folks think. Thanks in Advance!!
Attachments
100_4069.JPG
100_4069.JPG (237.36 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
dimwittedmoose51

Re: Two Ratchets That Look Like Snap Ons??

Upon further inspection and comparison to an older Armstrong rat I have, the Greenlee might be Armstrong, but that's just guessing.
Attachments
100_4070.JPG
100_4070.JPG (243.23 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

There was a thread on the Garage Journal about the Greenlee, someone needed a kit and a Snap on L715 kit worked. Most thought it was a Snap on, sure looks like it. You can call Snap on an ask for a kit for A L715, they may send you a free one. Or, you can order a kit for 10.00 from Snap on. Kit number is RKRA972. its a 32 tooth. If all fails, send it to me and I will fix it for you.
The other rat looks like its from the 80s.
dimwittedmoose51

Thanks Snapmom!! I'm pretty sure this one had 24 teeth, but I guess if the diameter is the same for the drive gear teeth and the nub that fits flush with the handle hole and the pawl matches the tooth count on the new drive gear, that might be an upgrade of sorts. I'd love to get it back to usable condition.

DM&FS
dimwittedmoose51

Any ideas on the other rat with the date code on it??

DM&FS
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Is there any stamps on the metal band? It is an odd one. Looks like a F710ALS.
dimwittedmoose51

No stamps whatsoever, Snapmom...

DM&FS
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

it is a SO for sure, just install a new dust cover, and put it to use. May never know the history on this one.
snapy64

Post by snapy64 »

when the ratchet was made there was one person that sat at a special machine that they had to put each item in a jig and it would roll the letters and numbers into the metal before it went to heat treating so you will see ratchets like this that was just missed and inspectors also missed it. The same machine was used for sockets and I have some that came without any markings and some that were crooked, the dealer that received them could just put them in broken tools and get a replacement but I kept a few just because.
dimwittedmoose51

Thanks ALLl!!

DM&FS