Rolla-Bench

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
00fxd
Your Location: BC Canada

Rolla-Bench

Post by 00fxd »

Hi all, I have recently acquired what I believe to be an old Rolla-bench, and I am a bit excited about it :-)
KR 300B and a KR 431?
It looks as tho the original owner had gone to the expense of having a good sign painter letter his name on it with some pink shading and accenting pinstripes.
The lettering had been covered up by slopping of red paint to cover by a subsequent owner. I could see it faintly so I carefully exposed it by removing the cover-up with lacquer thinner.
Can anyone give me direction on how to determine the year?
Thanks, Frank

snapmom

Re: Rolla-Bench

Post by snapmom »

usually on the back, there is a model number stamped on it, along with a date code. Sometimes the stamp is on the sides or on the front rails. They started stamping these codes in the mid 50s.
00fxd

Post by 00fxd »

Thanks snapmom. I looked on the back and sides. Can you explain what you mean by the front rails? Does the style of the "Snap on" script give any clue? On the top flap there are 2, one on each side
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

yours looks like it is close to 1960. the stamp, if any, may have been covered by the paint.
00fxd

Post by 00fxd »

There it is ...thanks again snapmom

Looks like 1956 ....
Oddly it is stamped KRH-300B which would make it without electric but it does .... I suppose it could have been added but the 1/4 threaded holes for the lamp mount are pretty nice.

Another question, there is a yellow sticker behind the lock flap. It is also paint covered - Is it a factory sticker? Should I try and save it? Its pretty compromised.

snapmom

Post by snapmom »

I am not sure. Maybe some other collector can answer that one.
snapy64

Post by snapy64 »

that is the remains of the selling dealers sticker - it would have had his name address and phone number on it. It was common practice to put those on product that we sold.
00fxd

Post by 00fxd »

Thanks fellas,
I see the KR-300B was only made fro 1953-55 so mine being stamped a '56 is also a bit unusual.
So now I have to decide if I am going to drill out ALL the rivets holding the handles on. I think it's the only way to do a nice job.,
Hate to do it.
I really spent a lot of time removing cleaning drawer slides yesterday and today. I really shoulda diss-assembled and took it to a car wash.
Fixed a broken weld.....
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

As you go, post some pic's showing a time line.
00fxd

Post by 00fxd »

Hey snapmom. Thanks for the interest. I am not doing a concours restoration - just real good clean up, lube and exterior paint job [and drawer fronts].
And then she goes into service in my shop.
I understand that there is a Rustoleum color that is correct - Anyone know what is the color called?
This is fun - I am now looking for any other units.
Thanks again, Fank