Blue Point Single Offset Wrenches X series.

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
snapmom

Blue Point Single Offset Wrenches X series.

Post by snapmom »

These are fun to collect, usually cheap, and are some of the first Blue Point wrenches made. Date range (26-27) thru (42-43).
How to date these when there are no date codes on them. Below are four 5/8 inch X-20 wrenches, they are all 1920's. Bottom wrench is a Blue Points X-20. (not in the cats) its hard to date blue points, but I would guess its mid 20s, these are very hard to find. Next up, probaby the first bp wrench type, its short about 9 inches, has a very deep offset, no date code, so I would date it 26-27. Next up, date code 6-28. length 9-3/4. shank diam. 19/32. Next up date code -29, length 10 inches, shank diam 1/2. The mid 20s x series have a distinct offset which is much larger than post 1927, they are shorter. I have not seen an x series with a 27 date code. The 28-29 x series are somewhat longer and have a date code with 28-29. the x-30 appears first in the 1928 cat.. In general, the lengths get longer thru the mid 30s and after 1933 they stay the same. But exact lengths are often somewhat different than whats listed in the cats.
1930s: Some of the early 30s have date codes, but in about 1930 most of the wrenches were stamped (pat no 1424069) or (pat no 1424069-1). In about 1937-38 (made in USA) stamp was added.
So, 20s, no pat no, no made in usa. Early 30s pat. no, but no USA, late 30s and early 40s, would have made in USA.
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Re: Blue Point Single Offset Wrenches X series.

Post by Frank Murch »

I have an X-20. The handle looks like Snap on, but I see no Snap on or Blue Point name on it. Also, I don't see a listing

Do you have any information on these?

Thanks
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

post a pic.
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Post by Frank Murch »

It says BluePoint Chicago - It is light and I missed it the first time through.
bluepointstamp.jpg
bluepointstamp.jpg (78.13 KiB) Viewed 804 times
X20 5/8
modelnumber.jpg
modelnumber.jpg (108.22 KiB) Viewed 804 times
Here is the top
tool.jpg
tool.jpg (53.91 KiB) Viewed 804 times
And the side
tool-side.jpg
tool-side.jpg (66.7 KiB) Viewed 804 times
There are a lot of catalogs, ads and other docs out there, but I do not see this listed, do you??

It has no date stamp, I assume there would be a 1/2, 3/4 etc

Whatcha think??
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Mine is exactly the same, but says Blue Points, I would think yours would too, maybe is does, just worn down.
These are not in the cats, but I would date them mid 20s
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Post by Frank Murch »

It does say BLUE POINTS - It takes a magnifying glass to see it - and it is there