Pozidrive

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Snap-on Boy 92
Your Location: Anglesey UK

Pozidrive

Post by Snap-on Boy 92 »

Hi there everyone, can someone tell me what the earliest set of pozidrive screwdrivers were that Snap-on made? Just I’m trying to find the right screws for a car and people say Phillips are stops and others are saying pozidrive are stock. Mines 1959 but the model come out in 1958 and I’m guessing if snapon didn’t make it they can’t of had the fastener out yet? Thanks hopefully some one will know
Snap-on Boy 92
Your Location: Anglesey UK

Re: Pozidrive

Post by Snap-on Boy 92 »

Where is the pozidrive? I can see the reed and prince but that’s not a pozidrive as far as I’m aware? Phillips has 30 degree angle, Reed and price 45 and pozidrive I think is a 26.5 degree off the top of my head. Thanks
J.A.F.E.
Your Location: Mojave desert

Post by J.A.F.E. »

Pozidriv was patented by GKN Screws and Fasteners in 1962. I think it's mainly used in aircraft and maybe industrial.
snapy64

Post by snapy64 »

they were used by auto manufacturers from the 60's on
021254038-phillips_xlg-700x603.jpg (67.9 KiB) Viewed 628 times
What Is Pozidriv?Pozidriv bit and Pozidriv screw

Pozidriv, commonly spelled incorrectly as “Pozidrive”, is an improved variation on the Phillips drive design. After the patent for the Phillips head expired, the company GKN Screws and Fasteners created the Pozidriv design.

The Pozidriv drive style was originally formed to address the largest issue Phillips heads are prone to: cam-out. Cam-out is defined as the slipping out of a drive recess that occurs when torque exceeds a certain limit. The Pozidriv drive style has the same self-centering design of a Phillips drive style but improves upon the two following factors:

Increased torque without cam-out
Greater surface contact engagement between the drive and the recess in the fastener head making it harder to slip when installed correctly

Can I Use a Pozidriv on a Phillips Screw? Or Vice-Versa?

While we at Albany County Fasteners do NOT recommend using the improper drive style on a screw, technically speaking you can. A Phillips drive style fits into a Pozidriv drive recess decently when using the right size. It’s important to note that even if the Phillips does fit snugly into the drive recess, it is still much more likely to strip or cam-out than when using the proper driver.

Alternatively, you can attempt to remove a Phillips screw with a Pozidriv drive but they do not fit into the Phillips drive recess snugly and are much more likely to slip or damage the recess during removal.
Where Are Pozidriv Screws Used?

Pozidriv screws can be used just about anywhere, although they are not nearly as popular as standard Phillips screws. Over the years, many other drive styles, such as the Torx and Robertson, have come out as being more reliable than the Phillips drive style at preventing cam-out and stripping. The Phillips drive is still extremely popular in manufacturing due to its self-centering design but is starting to lose popularity for manual applications due to other drive styles having a better design.
Benefits of the Pozidriv Drive Style

As an improvement on the Phillips drive style, the main benefit of using the Pozidrive is the increased torque without the increased risk of cam-out. Pozidriv screws can handle significantly more torque on the fastener recess than a Phillips drive can.
How Do You Identify A Pozidriv Screw?

While Phillips and Pozidriv screws look similar, Pozidriv are actually quite easy to recognize at a glance. This is due to four notches marked into the head of the Pozidriv screw that are not present in the Phillips Head Screw.
Phillips Pozidriv
Phillips Drive Recess Profile Pozidriv Drive Recess Profile
021254038-phillips_xlg-700x603.jpg (67.9 KiB) Viewed 628 times