New Member Intro & Questions

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Bill the Engineer
Your Location: Coastal Delaware, USA

New Member Intro & Questions

Post by Bill the Engineer »

Greetings from the coast of Delaware. I recently retired and have started sorting through hundreds of Snap-on / Blue Point items I inherited from my dad from years ago (on top of the items I already had.) None are for sale since I am into restoring old cars. ('63 Caddy, '67 Firebird) However, I would like to learn more about them. I only recently discovered this site and am learning lots reading through the postings. I have also saved down the date code decoder sheet which I had no awareness of prior to seeing this site.

My late Dad was a Vocational Auto Shop teacher for 25+ years for Baltimore County Schools in Maryland. When he retired they closed his shop and transferred the students to a new Vo-Tech school. He was able to buy much of the equipment and tools from the school board and set up everything in a large garage at home. When he passed away, I inherited all of it and added it all to the extensive collection of tools I already had. I am a now-retired Machine Design / Manufacturing Engineer as well as still teaching evening CAD classes at Del-Tech Community College. Recently I finally built the heated and Air Conditioned home shop I always wanted, so I'll be diving into working on the cars every chance that I get.

I'm still figuring out what does and doesn't belong on this site. For instance, does my Dad's old bumper-mounted Blue Point Tow Bar set-up qualify?

I am going to post photos of the first items I came across in my shop this afternoon. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm hoping members can tell me more about these items. When were they issued?

Also in the future, should my posts only show one tool at a time with the tool number in the header? What is the preferred way for this site?

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from the folks here!

Bill the Engineer
Attachments
S9476A
S9476A
S9476A.jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 530 times
SL-85A
SL-85A
SL-85A.jpg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 530 times
MT-308JB
MT-308JB
MT-308JB.jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 530 times
snapmom

Re: New Member Intro & Questions

Post by snapmom »

If you have the model number you can do a search from the home page. date code is 1964 and it is for a (link(
https://www.collectingsnapon.com/catalo ... gPage=2629
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

Any tool you want to post is good. Most posters show their Snap on. Blue Point and Blue Points tools. A tow bar would be nice.
HLAV1
Your Location: INDIANA

Post by HLAV1 »

If it is listed in a Snap On catalog then ask away.
Trun57
Your Location: WI

Post by Trun57 »

Hello from a lifelong gear head in SW Wisconsin. I inherited my grandfather’s Snap-On tool chest and all his tools when he passed in 1987. I used this box and tools as my primary set in my garage/shop since then. Recently, I have started to remove all new stuff and return all the old snap-on, Bonney, Wright, Plumb and other tools to their proper places, as it was when he stopped using it in his 90’s. He told me he bought the chest in about 1925.

He owned a service station in Clarion, PA from the early 20’s until he sold out and moved to Florida in 1948. While owning and operating his business during the depression he was wise enough to buy shares in companies he understood (Ford {Cars}, Standard Oil {Gas} and Phillip Morris {Cigarettes}) which served him well over the years. He did quit smoking cigs in the '50's but picked up the chew (Mail Pouch). He drank a shot or two of whiskey every day until he got stomach cancer in his 90s, then switched to Vodka. I miss that man and think of him every time I pick up one of his tools.

Question for members: can you pin a date in this tool chest? I was told it was purchased in the 20s but his memory was not the best at that time.
Attachments
6C6B32C9-6015-4773-8B73-6DBF3E15100B.jpeg
6C6B32C9-6015-4773-8B73-6DBF3E15100B.jpeg (122.16 KiB) Viewed 498 times
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

They did not make this type chest in the 20s. More like 40s. Still a nice set to have.
Trun57
Your Location: WI

Post by Trun57 »

Thanks!
I see from the “storage” section that it’s a K-55R (41-46). I believe many of the tools are older than the box.
9ACF73C5-B4C1-4F0F-A5C3-26FEC1FF6F17.jpeg
9ACF73C5-B4C1-4F0F-A5C3-26FEC1FF6F17.jpeg (118.25 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Attachments
0141F69F-EF7B-4B49-BDE0-B47975DE33A1.jpeg
0141F69F-EF7B-4B49-BDE0-B47975DE33A1.jpeg (140.73 KiB) Viewed 489 times