substitute lock for KRA-58B

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
lane in LA
Your Location: LA

substitute lock for KRA-58B

Post by lane in LA »

I recently purchased a KRA-58B tool chest/box with no key. I used the number on the exterior [1301] and ordered keys online. They seem not to work so I am thinking it's the lock cylinder itself. So I contacted LDV from info and references gained on the forum here. On a live chat they confirmed the lock itself is no longer available. Soooooo .......... what substitute locking mechanism could I use? The internals of the lock seem to be fine with no visible damage. Am I missing something? I frequently do. Any help appreciated. The cylinder hole is .75 or 3/4" with the flat side to hold it in place. Locksmith?
lane
Snap-on Boy 92
Your Location: Anglesey UK

Re: substitute lock for KRA-58B

Post by Snap-on Boy 92 »

They are easy to strip and make keys for I have done for a lot of mine.
lane in LA

Post by lane in LA »

Is there a tutorial out there somewhere? I love doing everything myself.
Snap-on Boy 92
Your Location: Anglesey UK

Post by Snap-on Boy 92 »

My brothers a locksmith and shown me how to do it. I only do simple keys but gets me by for what I need. I’m sure you’ll find the tutorial on YouTube or something
lane in LA

Post by lane in LA »

For sure info is out there somewhere. Thanks
HLAV1
Your Location: INDIANA

Post by HLAV1 »

Couple options, you can just take it to a locksmith and they can repin it. Or if the style does not matter to you a new current Snap On lock set will fit in it.
lane in LA

Post by lane in LA »

I did look at the newer versions and wondered if they would fit. I think taking it to my locksmith will work well as there is nothing wrong with the cylinder and the brass pins pop right up after removing the key. For some reason the key, whose number matches the number on the cylinder, just doesn't bring the pins in properly to allow it to unlock. Can't wait for the locksmith to reveal what is amiss. Thank you.