Plugs

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Plugs

Post by Frank Murch »

I am wondering how many of us have ratchets missing the plugs? I have a number of them and I am in the process of making a generic replacement plug (hardened and 100% functional) . Would this be on interest to any body else?
Snap on plug cut away.JPG
Snap on plug cut away.JPG (25.91 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
Snap on plug prototype.JPG
Snap on plug prototype.JPG (25.53 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
agmechjake

Re: Plugs

Post by agmechjake »

I have 2 that are missing plugs. Any idea on price?
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Post by Frank Murch »

These are not "there" yet, but I posted 2 photos (edited the first posting) - One is a 1/2 plug and he other a 5/8 drive. I will also make a few of the 7/8 plugs. As for cost - I don't know yet, but the target is under $20.

These don't "exist" yet. There are 4 total, they are not hardened and the design - prototyping is complete. This week they go through hardening. I asked how hard they will be and the answer was interesting - "harder than a witch's heart". I think the real answer will be Rockwell 62 or 65. Harder than the 1920s plugs.

These are not copies - the ball detent is different and the manufacturing is totally different. Snap on used some heavy duty presses to create the impression that held the ball in place. They seemed to be changing these methods, the diameters, how many balls and how they were stamped. These use harder balls, better springs and different diameters. The originals used soft balls and many show a flat side - these replacements should resist this

It should be a good generic and usable replacement part for Snap on, craftsman, proto and many others. It will not fool anybody who knows what they are looking at - Too clean, too hard, no oxidation, better ball detent.
skipskip
Your Location: upstate NY USA

Post by skipskip »

Please mark them clearly as repo parts so people don't get fooled years from now.

Skip
wreckercologist

Post by wreckercologist »

:mrgreen:

I would certainly be interested in a few as well.
Fleetline

Post by Fleetline »

Frank, I think the idea of a replacement plug is excellent!! I use my old plug ratchets from time to time and there is definately wear there to the original plugs. Additionally, I too have some ratchets with plugs missing. I like what you commented on about the new plugs being made with harder balls that might resist flat spots. This sounds like an improvement in my book!! Count me in on some as well. I think your price projection sounds good! Mike
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Post by Frank Murch »

I just got in the plugs from the machine shop. They look really good. I have 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 plugs. I don't have the costs for the 1/2 or 5/8, the the 3/8 are $12/each. If you are interested - let me know.

Frank
krusty the clown

Post by krusty the clown »

i'll be interested in a 5/8 when they are available.