Tall Tail about a $600 1/2 Ratchet

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Tall Tail about a $600 1/2 Ratchet

Post by Frank Murch »

This was an email I got from the site some time ago - I thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with you all (the names are deleted)

I am writing you to find out some info on some of my "vintage" snap on tools. Last month I (regretfully) sold one of my 1/2 drive ratchets(71-10). The buyer purchased it from me for around 30 bucks. I knew it was old but not sure how old. He recently wrote me saying that during his research he found that the ratchet was from around the 1930's and that snap on offered him $600 for it! Well if that is the case, than I am sitting on a gold mine. I inherited my grandfathers tools about 10 years ago. He owned a garage and wrecker business back 60's-1980's. His tools date back as far as the 30's. So is this guy yanking my chain or are all of these tools that valuable. I have enclosed a photo of the 1/2 inch drive ratchet. Please let me know what you think, and I can send along more photos if you like. Thanks, XXXX XXXXX Michigan
snapon (2).jpg
snapon (2).jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Re: Tall Tail about a $600 1/2 Ratchet

Post by Frank Murch »

Well if he sold it for $600 it was not a 710- 10, or his secret is that he knows a foolish person. $30 was a cheap price, but the value was likely not above $60. $600 is like a big fish story.

You have a picture of a ratchet that is worth about $50, you might get it to $80 if it is in great condition. There are several very rare ratchets worth $100-$200 but- I would need to see a ratchet I have never seen - to get much more than that.

Generally

- Pre WW2 is much more valuable than post WW2.
- Sets in early boxes can run very high. Early and rare boxed sets could go for $200 - $1000.
- Loose sockets are $5-$8 each, sets run a little less per socket (generally) and $60 - $120 is a good range for early socket sets
- Special socket (Square heads, early metric, odd styles, screwdriver bits) that are EARLY can be $10-30 / each or several hunderd for a set.
- There are about 5-6 items that have never been seen but are listed in the catalogs. It is very likely the drawings were sent in to the printer early - before the tools were actually developed and they never actually got made. If one of these came up - it could go for several thousand dollars
- A nice old rare box could go for $1000 - $3000

So I would not be kicking myself about this $600 story - it is not likely to be true, and it is even more unlikely to be repeated. An old box - full of tools could be $5,000 - $10,000. The rare stuff was never generally available, so it is unlikely your Grandfather would have owned them. It is possible, but statistically unlikely. So you are likely to have betwwen $200 and $1000 worth of older tools. Unfortunately, I don't think you are likely to retire off your grandfather's tools

But it is still very interesting stuff. You have something with a personally history - That may not buy an island off the California coast, but it is still pretty nice

Frank
chad s

Post by chad s »

Frank Murch wrote:

- There are about 5-6 items that have never been seen but are listed in the catalogs. It is very likely the drawings were sent in to the printer early - before the tools were actually developed and they never actually got made. If one of these came up - it could go for several thousand dollars

Frank
Frank,
There are a few items that a year or two ago I would have said that only existed as catalog drawings, and low and behold, examples have shown up. Im curious as to the 5-6 items you have in mind that may not exist.
agmechjake

Post by agmechjake »

I am curious also about the 5-6 items that have never been seen Frank.
snapmom

Post by snapmom »

One thing that would go for several thousand. The first set.
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Post by Frank Murch »

I don't know what this would cost if there was one, but I have never seen this. (Drawing)

It is actually very easy to know the holes in my knowledge. If it have a drawing and not a photo on this web site - I don't have an example. Where there are photos - about 90% is my collection, but about 10% is "yours". I would love to increase the photos of your tools on this web site.

I am totally impressed with the knowledge and tools you guys exhibit. If you have any tool that I only show a drawing of - I would like the picture for the web site. Also, I have told you exactly what I think is true in the web site, but I am constantly reminded that it is a completely imperfect study. I went through the 9/32 drive with about 5 collectors about a year ago. I feel I provided the framework, but the really great stuff came from the other people contributing to those pages. The same thing could be done for every section of this web site.

There are a lot of tools I have never seen
Attachments
9-32-first - box- web.jpg
9-32-first - box- web.jpg (22.96 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
S-O points
Your Location: Midwest

Post by S-O points »

Some years ago I purchased a torque wrench off EBay and after getting it found it to be an early Snap-On. Looked thru catalogs I have and could not find it listed. Finally after finding what I believe was a 1937 S-O catalog, listed in the back were late released tools for that period. There pictured was S-O's first torque wrench. I have only seen one other and it is owned by one of the members from this site. Since I also collect other brands of automotive tools I am interested in torque wrenchs in general. I reside in Addison,Il. once home to the P.A. Sturtevant torque wrench company. P.A. Sturtevant was employed by the Kwik Way co. a Delaware company. While employed there he developed the torque wrench. Finally P.A Sturtevant struck out on his own and built many styles of the wrenchs for automotive, truck, truck, and aviation. They supplied wrenchs for the military during WWII as well as providing gages and tooling for government contracts. They were later sold to Dresser Industries who owned S-K tools and the to Dresser-Richmont who presently markets torque measuring products.
Oldtuleguy
Your Location: United States

Post by Oldtuleguy »

I have a 1925 catalog, and that is the 9/32 set in it.
I doubt it was ever made in that box though. I have never seen one and have looked for years.
Oldtuleguy
Your Location: United States

Post by Oldtuleguy »

This is the oldest 9/32 set I have come across. There is no logo on the box. There is a vague outline of a decal on the inside of the lid. No logo on the sockets.
The box has a different latch than the later ones. I think it is late 1925 or maybe 26.
Attachments
20170404_190145-1651x929.jpg
20170404_190145-1651x929.jpg (210.36 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
20170404_190157-1651x929.jpg
20170404_190157-1651x929.jpg (229.08 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
20170404_190121-1032x581.jpg
20170404_190121-1032x581.jpg (120.8 KiB) Viewed 2209 times