Snap on's first building

This is the place to ask questions about specific tools. Please search for other questions about your subject before you post a new one... it may already be here. Also, please include pictures if possible to make identification easier.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Rules and Etiquette Page, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.
Frank Murch
Site Admin
Your Location: San Diego

Snap on's first building

Post by Frank Murch »

I wonder if there are any folks from Milwaukee reading this board.

For some time I have been trying to find 134 Reed Street where the first (rented) Snap on building was. I just could never find it. I now learned that the streets were renamed and the 1920 - 134 Reed Street is now the 2012 - 1492 S Second Street

I would really like to know if the building is still there

Anybody??
terry454
Your Location: Illinois USa

Re: Snap on's first building

Post by terry454 »

Frank,

A phone call may get you the information you want. They may even have a photo.

http://www.milwaukeehistory.net/about/g ... formation/

Terry
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Post by Frank Murch »

Thanks
xfldmgr
Your Location: Wisconsin

Post by xfldmgr »

Frank: I was just going through the postings and noticed your question. I am not sure if you got any answer. If you go to Google maps street view and search for 187 S 1st Pl Milwaukee you will see the block where the building was. All of the buildings on this block were there until a few years ago. I had seen the building and did not realise any had been torn down. I believe the building was on the vacant lot to the right (North) of the picture. It was really just a storefront. There is a picture of it on the inside cover of a history of the company published in 1980 for the 60th anniversary. If you don't have a copy of this let me know and I will scan my copy.
GTM
Your Location: Somewhere in the USA

Post by GTM »

Wow! Talk about knowing your Snap-on history.
Frank Murch
Site Admin

Post by Frank Murch »

I would like any information you have - Please

I did look at Google maps and I see a building "there". It has a front made on siding (?) and i can not tell if that is the building or if your comment about it being on the other side and having been torn down is correct. I have been in Milwaukee a few times, but have not nailed this down. You seem to have a better handle on it than I do. I did visit Newport PA and Forged Steel Products - that building does still exist. The people there (some) know about it. They were knocking out cement a few years ago and the Bluepoint wrenches that failed to cast correctly were used for rebar.

Any information - Please send it along. I know there is more here than I have in my head.

Thanks

frank